A Perfect Storm
Hurricanes (Tropical Cyclones)
Hurricanes can produce winds over 100 mph and cause devastation when they make landfall.
Being prepared for hurricanes can save your life and the lives of others in the workplace.
Management needs to have an idea of how to handle situations dealing with less than ideal weather.
Severe flooding from a hurricane.
- Develop a comprehensive plan.
- Determine procedures and individual crisis management responsibilities.
- Coordinate with others within the company.
- Know where life-saving devices/first aid are located.
- Prepare employees with a list of to-do's in a hurricane event.
- Review management plans annually.
- Get an alarm system for your location.
- Practice this plan once a year.
- Have an escape plan for yourself (and your family).
- Keep some water and non-perishables in your vehicle at all times.
- Invest in a NOAA radio that does not require batteries.
- In the Northern Hemisphere cyclones rotate counter-clockwise and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The primary energy source for cyclones is warm ocean water.